Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Quilt only a Mother could love.....

Okay, maybe I am exaggerating. This was the quilt I made for my mom's birthday last week. It is actually the first quilt I had ever started - I began it back in the spring before Lucy was born. I love Anna Maria Horner's Good Folks line so much and it seemed to fit my mom's personality well. Plus, she is the reason I am back to sewing again so I wanted to give her my first quilt as her birthday gift.
Ahh, the first quilt top ever! I am sure many of you can relate to this: I was so eager to jump in I really had no idea what I was doing. I have learned so much about quilting from the start to finish of this project that by the time I even finished the quilt top I was totally dissatisfied with my work I thought about tearing it up many times. But, in the end, it is pretty and my mom loves it. Oh, and if you are wondering, the pattern was a free one from Anna's website, the Folk Dance quilt (the flaws in the quilt are a result from not reading her pattern, the actual pattern is fabulous if you follow it correctly!)

Here is a view of the back. Very simple patchwork piecing and I quilted with a simple quarter inch stitch on either side of the zig zag seam. The quilt was hand bound on the fly to finish it in time for her birthday. It feels so good to finish one, and my mom really loves and appreciates it. That makes it all worth it!

5 comments:

  1. I think it looks perfect! I'm sure your mom loves it, how could she not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you did a great job and i am glad you made this. i bought both colorways in good folks and have been stuck as to which way to go. i like them both but i want a bigger quilt. i was thinking borders...blah, blah, blah. i think i like this colorway better. i may even go down and try combining both byzantine and adriatic and see what it looks like..anyway. good job. don't be so hard on yourself. i am right where you are with my 4 quilts going at once right now. they will be fine. not as perfect as some i see but practice will bring that on. good luck. p.s....i got a chuckle over your post about the mailman. i can so relate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mon is a lucky mom!! Your quilt is beautiful. You should see my first quilt! oh my! Fabulous job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you need concrete cheating proof?
    hackingssetting50@gmail.com gave me full access to my spouse phone with just his phone number and within few hours of contracting them. I recommend this team to anybody who is in need of any hacking assistance.

    ReplyDelete