Monday, March 14, 2011

Flying Geese Baby Boy Quilt


Hooray! I actually finished a sewing project! Admittedly it's a pretty small quilt, but a finish nonetheless. This little quilt was a shower gift for a very special baby boy. Of course, all babies are special, but we couldn't be more excited for the safe arrival of this particular one after the heart-breaking journey to parenthood his mom and dad to be have experienced. And these friends of ours appreciate hand-made very much, so it was a joy to make.

I hoped to get some more cheery photos to show you, but our weather up here has been downright craptastic (word of the day!) with no signs of letting up & this has already been gifted so here we go.

I started pulling lots of boyish fabrics from my stash before we knew the gender of our own little one on the way, and even purchased a few "just in case". And I finally got to use lots of favorites that have been just sitting unused for years, like old Heather Ross goldfish and dogs. A simple flying geese pattern to show of the colors and prints seemed like a good way to go. The quilt finishes at roughly 30x36, was backed with a soft flannel from Anna Maria Horner's Folksy Flannel collection, free motion quilted and bound with a Park Slope leaf print in blue.


We topped the gift off with a little store-bought something, and these tiny baby boots I whipped up last week. Aren't they adorable?? I'd already forgotten how little baby feet are! I found this wonderful pattern, Stay-On Baby Booties and used some Koigu PPPM, which is a great yarn and comes in tons of delicious colors. Our own baby will be getting many pairs of these little socks!


Now that this gift is taken care of, I can turn my attention back to my sorely neglected Single Girl quilt. If you've joined in our Single Girl Quilt-along too, don't forget to hop over to Nova's blog today for the latest installment - Hand Quilting!


16 comments:

  1. i love it, and I love small quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. such an amazing quilt! great for greeting a new little man. hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is beautiful!! and those baby boots are just too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the boy colours. it's so hard to find nice prints and colours for boys - girls are waaaaaay easier to make for in every way! I'm also feverishly knitting baby bootees at the moment, but I haven't tried that pattern yet. I remember always panicking that the toddler's feet would get cold in the sling when he was little.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the quilt and the booties are to die for! I'm sure that the parents (and the baby) will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan, I love it. I think you did a great job with the colors- seems it is more difficult to find fabrics that are appropriate for a baby boy. The booties are precious too. Such a special gift for a little one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The baby quilt is just perfect, but those slippers? I'm dying! They are the cutest business EVER!!! How wonderful for your friends, to have a handmade genius friend like you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect little quilt! And those botties - I think I have made some like it - aren't they the most clever?? And I finally am tracing and cutting out my Single Girl fabrics - better late then never:) The group is so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what special fabrics and the backing - so nice! I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really beautiful! I love the colors you used! And who can resist flying geese? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its beautiful, Megan! I love the colors.... it seems like we don't get to do little boy quilts very often, but I'm going to keep this one in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute little booties! The quilt is lovely too. What a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE! The blues and greens are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you need concrete cheating proof?
    hackingssetting50@gmail.com gave me full access to my spouse phone with just his phone number and within few hours of contracting them. I recommend this team to anybody who is in need of any hacking assistance.

    ReplyDelete