Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Wonky Yellow Brick Road Quilt (in pug)


The Wonky Brick Road quilt is all stippled, bound and freshly washed, ready to go to it's new home. I made this one for my dear friend Kari as a house warming gift - she just bought her first condominium and I wanted to show her how proud I am of her for such a great accomplishment. She's been hounding me for awhile to make her something handmade so I thought this would be the perfect occasion.
I'm loving how this one came out! The idea was born for this quilt when I found this adorable Spoonflower print on Etsy by Pugnotes. Kari loves her pug like he is her fur baby, so I knew this would be perfect for her. I wasn't sure how I would be able to showcase the print in a quilt until I remembered this one the talented Ashley came up with awhile back. I thought something similar would be a lovely way to use this print generously and still be able to incorporate lots of sherbet-y floral and geometric prints into the mix. Plus the cheerful wonkiness of the design reminds me of my friend, who always keeps me laughing.
I used lots of oranges, pinks, and golds with a splash of lavender in prints mostly from Erin McMorris, Heather Bailey and Amy Butler. I have a tendency to want to make a quilt all from one single designer's line, so it was fun to play with a mix of all these fabrics and see how harmoniously they play together. The method for piecing was simple and free-flowing, if not a bit tedious toward the end. But so worth it for the overall effect and how the "grout" makes all the prints pop.


For the binding I chose my favorite print from Erin McMorris's Weekends line and splurged on some deliciously cozy Little Folks flannel from Anna Maria Horner. This is the first quilt I've backed in flannel but definitely not the last! It's so cozy!


I had to get one more shot in since it was one of our last beautiful blue skies up here in Seattle for awhile....


Lucy does not want to give this one away. But it's much easier for me knowing it will be loved and I can visit it pretty much whenever I want to.


I hope you love your new quilt Kari! (and don't pretend you aren't reading this post - I guess the surprise is spoiled now!)

We also have a winner for the Innocent Crush fat quarters! I decided to go with random.org instead of choosing my favorite pattern because there were so many good ones suggested. Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful input. The winner is #20, Faith! Faith is one talented woman and I read her blog regularly for inspiration, so you know she will do something awesome with these fabrics.

Happy Sunday everyone!



23 comments:

  1. Why don't I have friends who make me quilts? I'm so jealous. As usual I love it and all of it's crinkly snuggly goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out so cute! As a total sucker for warm colors, I love the color palette, so cheery :)

    I'm sure your friend will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Spoonflower too! That quilt is brilliant...I so love those pugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is gorgeous (I am sure she will absolutely love it) and Lucy is as beautiful as always and getting big!! It's so sad how they grow so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure your friend (and her pug) will ADORE this quilt!!! I'm thinking of making a similar style quilt out of some Tufted Tweets for my sister for Christmas... great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just gorgeous Megan! What a wonderful gift x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why Lucy didn't want to let it go ... beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this quilt is SO cute! i just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous! This is beautiful! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful! I'm sure your friend will cherish her new quilt. Hope she knows how lucky she is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love this...the colors are awesome...and that pug fabric is too cute

    ReplyDelete
  12. f a n t a s t i c megan and flannel.... YUM!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the colors!! and the wonky!! and the white sashing.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful quilt, Megan. I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely gorgeous Megan!! Such gorgeous colors and such a wonderful gift! Beautiful work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful, wonderful quilt! Makes me smile just looking at it! And congrats to Faith (love that name!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So fun and fresh, and I am loving the pugs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't believe I won - I've never won anything before!! :-) :-) :-)

    I love that quilt, what a nice friend you are, I'm sure it will be treasured in her new home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this... the yellow and all the wonky-ness!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is awesome awesome awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi megan!

    oh a friend just found your fabulous post and qulit that you made.

    i cannot tell you how it has touched my heart.

    I have blogged about it today!

    http://pugnotes.blogspot.com/2012/12/our-lives-are-made-up-of-magical-moments.html

    Thank you for sharing your art with the world for us all to enjoy!

    xoxoxo
    Melissa & R-Chee

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous and sunny!

    ♥♥♥
    Meredith & Scarlet

    ReplyDelete