Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Far Far Away Quilt done!


I really, really love this quilt. I've been sitting on my big ol' stash of Heather Ross's Far, Far Away since it came out last year and just couldn't resist it any longer. It is the first quilt I have made that I am happy with the pattern, workmanship and quilting from top to bottom. I have finally gotten a handle on my new Bernina and I just adore the Stitch Regulator - it makes free motion feel like painting with thread. I think I also finished it more quickly than any of my others.  Using a combination of some very simple blocks and a few wonky star blocks was both breezy and satisfying. I used Kona white as the sashing but all that double gauze makes it super soft and cuddly.


(One of the only sunny mornings we've had up here lately)


I decided to get a little more creative with the back than I usually do (because by the time I finish the top I am impatient to finish!). I pieced it with some more wonky stars and a patchwork border. I may even like the back more than the front!

And a close up of the blocks....

The binding is an organic chartreuse polka dot from Cloud 9.



For now, this one is my chosen cuddle-up-on-the-couch quilt, and will probably stay that way for a while.




22 comments:

  1. holey moley MEAGAN... this is seriously fabulous!! I am crazy jealous and need one in a BAD way!!! what am i gonna do with you and your crazy good quilting lately... jeeze!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the binding and the little squares on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! that's all I got to say....well and maybe...WOW!! Okay, I have more to say than just WOW. It is divine, beautiful and absolutely adorable. I would want to snuggle up under that puppy every night too, even when it's too warm to snuggle under a quilt...just to admire it! Awesome job, Megan!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's absolutely spectacular! I really like the back.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazing! That back is so phenomenal!! The stars are so great on all that white! And the patchwork squares - you are killing me! The front is so perfect...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just lovely. The stars are the perfect addition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome, Megan! I love the pieced border on the back. I need to try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a stunning quilt , love it !
    My stash of Far Far Away is now calling me .

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really is absolutely GORGEOUS! I think I'm with you and everyone else; as beautiful as the front is, the back is my favorite part! I really want to try a piece border now, too. Breathtaking! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is absolutely gorgeous and I agree with you, as much as I love the front, I think I might like the back even more. Total fabulousness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I really really really love the back. I would never have the patience to do that!! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful. I love how you did the backing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous!!! And it looks so pretty outside on the grass :)

    SheilaC

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is absolutely gorgeous!! i LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooooooooo so pretty! The back is really stunning. I love the wonky stars. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your quilt is just beautiful! I agree, the back is stunning. I am inspired to cut into my FFA stash.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this so so so much Megan, seriously, it's gorgeous! The back totally kills me & drives me over the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Megan it is so wonderful! Thrilled you love the BSR, I can't control myself with mine and get going way to fast and out of control! All your quilts are so stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your quilt is gorgeous. I just found your blog today when I was looking for ideas to make my own far far away quilt. The back of the quilt is just icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my golly gosh! This is the lovely quilt I have seen using Far Far away! Just love it! I have fat's of the whole range plus extra's and I have been searching of inspiration. So thank you for inspiring me :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! I am actually doing a quilt back at the moment with just a few stars for interest...here I thought I was all original :-) I hope mine turns out half as well! I also have a stash of FFA2, so this has inspired me to get to that. A few things to wrap up first....

    ReplyDelete