Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Kerchief Girl Quilt


My Kerchief Girl Quilt was started way back in June of last year and is now finally finished, and I have to say I couldn't love it more. If you aren't familiar with the kerchief girls, they are a popular print from the Japanese fabric manufacturer Kei, and one of my favorite fabrics ever. I knew I wanted to make a quilt to showcase them in all six of their color ways separately. I went through my stash bringing out many of my most loved prints to coordinate with each of the girls and decided to make simple blocks inspired by this bee quilt of Rita's. It was so much fun piece! The six big blocks have actually been just sitting around in my sewing room for months now waiting for me to figure how I was going to incorporate them into a quilt.


After the holidays were over and I ticked a few WIPs off the list, they began calling to me again. Originally I had planned a much bigger quilt requiring more blocks, but in the end I decided sweet and simple would be best to show off the prints and colors. A little Kona white and a patchwork border finished it up.


The quilt was loosely free motion stippled, backed with a pretty turquoise blue print from Oliver & S's City Weekend line (from my stash - yay! - and is fabulous as a backing with it's silky smooth texture) and bound with a tiny ladybug check from Lecien's Minny Muu. It measures roughly 50x65 and is my new perfect knitting - in - bed cozy.


I can't resist showing a few more shots - we actually got sun in Seattle last weekend so I finally had an ideal opportunity for some decent photos! Normally I never photograph a quilt until it's had it's first wash and dry, but I literally raced through the hand sewing on the binding and darted outdoors to take advantage of the fleeting sunlight.


Another work in progress is finished! Now I'm off to work on my new WIP, my Single Girl quilt. I'm so  thrilled so many of you are joining in our quilt along - if you haven't signed up yet, pop on over to our Flickr group, The Single Girl Support Group. You still have plenty of time to get everything together, and we'd love to have you!

27 comments:

  1. Wow! You did a great job showcasing the fabric. I love the fence you used to photograph the quilt. I need something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this Megan!!! The border is great! The back! So glad you finished it!! One checked off the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful and really does show off the fabulous fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, I especially like the block border colour combo and bainding colour. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful quilt! Love the border.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cute quilt! I would never think of including a brown or black block but they really work well.
    Enjoy your knitting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. soooo pretty! I love how you used the City Weekend on the back... its super soft!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so so so pretty! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only have kerchief girls in a couple of colors. Wish I have them all. This is a great quilt.

    And I'm doing Single Girl. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh....i love it! I don't know what else to say except it is awesome! I am not moving fast on my herringbone cowl, I keep moving to other projects (it's a bit tedious to me)...how's your progress going?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Glad you had some sun to get these lovely photos. Love the piecey border and ladybugs on the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's beautiful! what a lovely way to display the colorways of a series of prints. some japanese elephants are coming to mind that would look fabulous like this....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it Megan! The kerchief girls are too cute (really wish I could find some) and I love what you done with the blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so inspiring! This quilt is fabulous - and that green grass - ah, can't wait to see some of that - WI is white and ugly:) So I must escape to my basement sewing spot to sew - thanks for coaxing me along with all of your cool ideas! My Single Girl pattern is on the way - I'm so scared-excited - it's a new word. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's lovely! I think the photos show us the beauty of this quilt! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This quilt is seriously sweet and I love how you did the big colour blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great way to show off a fabric collection with many colorways!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute and I always loved that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do you need concrete cheating proof?
    hackingssetting50@gmail.com gave me full access to my spouse phone with just his phone number and within few hours of contracting them. I recommend this team to anybody who is in need of any hacking assistance.

    ReplyDelete