Friday, June 10, 2011

Wow! I finished a quilt!


I've finally finished baby Olivia's play mat quilt! I got the piecing done rather quickly, and soon afterwards almost completely lost my sewing mojo. But it's all finished now, and I think it will look even better with a sweet little baby girl resting in the middle, don't you?


The pattern is called the Sixth Times a Charm from Anna Maria Horner's book Handmade Beginnings. I loved pulling all sorts of girly prints from my stash in hues of pink and yellow to slice into strips. But I must say, I was in complete shock of the amount of waste leftover and after cutting my first set of triangle components, I looked for another way to pull it off. Rachel has a great post here about her method of reducing scrappage. Even after making alterations, I couldn't even bare the thought of trimming this hexagon into a traditional rectangle quilt and leaving so many precious prints behind with no purpose. So in the end I decided to leave it in this shape, and actually I think it will get a lot of use this summer outdoors under a shady tree.

The quilting is minimal, and honestly I would've liked to have done more but my time at the sewing machine is extremely limited these days and this one just needed to be finished.  I'm trying now to work on bibs and burp cloths for the baby, which is proving to be a difficult task these days. Sitting at the sewing machine is do-able, but standing up cutting fabric and ironing leaves me feeling woozy and ill. But hopefully it won't be long now. I'm 37 weeks along, already dialated and the doctor thinks this girl is already tipping the scales at 7 1/2 pounds. Time to come out baby girl! So needless to say, I'm hoping my next blog post is one to show off our new addition to the family:)




24 comments:

  1. Oh Megan this quilt turned out so beautiful! I love that you left it a hexagon! It makes it so unique! :)

    The colors remind me of strawberry lemonade! Hope she makes her arrival soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would've left it as a hexagon too - this is gorgeous and will be such a keepsake for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the perfect summery girly quilt! And finished just in time it seems!

    Wishing you a safe & easy delivery...looking forward to that next blog post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, such a sweet girly quilt! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it as a hexagon too! So sweet and perfect for a baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks awesome and will be even cuter with a little one in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fab as a hexagon, and I love the colours! You poor soul with the end-of-pregnancy pains though, I hope Olivia puts in an appearance soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the quilt! And congratulations on being so close! Here's to a (relatively) easy labor and complication free delivery for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this shape for a baby's play mat! Your colours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That quilt is so lovely - I can't believe you are supposed to cut it off into a rectangle! It's perfect this way. I hope you have a wonderful delivery SOON. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The shape and colors look wonderful. Every time I see a non rectangle quilt, it makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it is so so cute! and i'm glad you kept the shape, too cute to cut up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this quilt and cannot wait for the next installment. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy cow you are close! Good luck to you! The quilt is awesome! Can't wait to see Olivia!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, the shape! What fun!!

    Congratulations to you, and the very best of luck. What a special time of blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello! Mark did a wine tasting at the shop I work at this past weekend and he told me I needed to check out your blog and all your craftiness! When he is not talking about wine, he is talking about you guys! It's nice to see the lovely family and all your cute projects. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oooh, that came out nice. perfect for a wee one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do you need concrete cheating proof?
    hackingssetting50@gmail.com gave me full access to my spouse phone with just his phone number and within few hours of contracting them. I recommend this team to anybody who is in need of any hacking assistance.

    ReplyDelete