Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sherbet Pips Snowball Quilt


The Sherbet Pips and Snowballs quilt is all quilted, bound and freshly washed. I started this one back in October, about one second after a layer cake of this delicious line showed up on my doorstep. I'd been thinking for days before it arrived how best to utilize the ten inch squares to get the most out of all the prints and have minimal waste. I'm happy I went with the snowball design, even if the piecing became a bit tedious. But I think it shows off Aneela's adorable prints quite well. I really love her first fabric line to pieces, and I'm even more excited because I know she has a ton more up her sleeves to keep us insatiable fabric addicts busy for years.
If you haven't been lucky enough to get your own Sherbet Pips yet, yardage is set to be released in April. There have been some pre-cuts floating around out there, but they're selling out like hot cakes, so if you see some, don't hesitate. Can you tell I'm really good at enabling?


Along with Aneela's super sweet prints, I added in some Bella Solids in popsicle, sisters pink, blue raspberry and medium grey for the squares. The binding is one of my favorite prints from Momo's It's a Hoot line and I couldn't resist backing another quilt in Bliss flannel. (I never pre-wash quilting cotton, but if you're backing a quilt in flannel, I've heard it is imperative to pre-wash due to a higher shrinkage percent. I wasn't going to risk it).


This is the first "real" quilt I've made for Lucy, but she's going to have to share it with me for awhile.

I'm on a real roll this week, with my energy level finally returned and Lucy deciding that naps are OK again (at least for now!). I just finished another quilt top and yet another is being sashed, so I should have lots more to show you soon.

I'll also be making a quilt-along announcement as soon as I get my proverbial 4%*# together, and a big, fun giveaway at the end of the week!!!

37 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! I'm amazed at all you get done with a kid at home and one on the away. I bow down to your productivity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this quilt is beautiful! =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful quilt. I can't wait to see your other projects and what other surprises you have to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely gorgeous!! i LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a great use of fabric. i love this quilt. it almost looks like a hexagon quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Nettie, I thought it was a hexagon quilt on Flickr!!
    This just looks amazing and I can only imagine how much piecing was involved in those corners (yikes!)
    Thanks also for letting me know which colour bella solids you used, I think you found some pretty perfect matches :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this quilt. Can you tell me the size of the snow ball blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, Megan, I just love all those colors together! I really like this line of fabric - so whimsical and fresh!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, it is gorgeous indeed! my little pips have been waiting so very patiently, but i don't know how much longer they will keep quiet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too cute Megan! Did you cut your layer cake pieces into 5 inch squares for snowballs?

    ReplyDelete
  11. absolutely gorgeous Megan. I can't wait to get some of that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this quilt! I have one charm pack and big plans. Can't wait for the fabric to be released in April1 Anyway, I also appreciate you giving info on the Bella solids. I have a couple of them and really like them a lot! Binding, backing--perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Speaking as someone who is eight months pregnant and has a toddler at home I am so impressed at how much you are getting done!


    I love the Pips! I can't wait to get my hands on some!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an adorable quilt! Love it.....can't wait to have some Pips of my own...it's really the only line I'm coveting right now....maybe I'll go hunt for some now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's really cute!! And I like your new profile pic too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks great! I just got my hands on a Pips layer cake as well, and was planning a snowball-ish quilt with it (though somewhat different), too- great minds think alike! And nice to see yours and that it looks good, makes me feel less anxious about starting to cut things up! It is such an adorable line! I am smitten :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This quilt is really stinkin' gorgeous! Why have I not tried a snowball quilt yet?!!! Its officially on my to-do list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok I have to make this. It is simply stunning. Did you use a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  19. i am absolutely DYING over sherbet pips! so jealous! your design is gorgeous. nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great quilt! You are an enabler for me - since first seeing your snowballs coming along, I have gotten 3 charm packs, a jelly roll AND a layer cake of this line - I. LOVE. IT!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Incredibly pretty! Shows off the fabrics so well!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that fabric but haven't been able to find any of it. Do you mind telling me how big you made your squares? Your quilt is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a cute line of fabrics - and the snowballs really show it off

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so pretty. I love it. I made a snowball quilt a few months ago for my granddaughter who is also named Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Snowballs were a brilliant way to show off this darling fabric! I haven't wanted to cut into my charm pack of Sherbet Pips because I was afraid of loosing too much in the seams. Your solids are just perfect too. I'm sure Lucy will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just wonderful! I think I am so into quilting because of YOU! THanks! I had my first sewing class this mornng for my Janome and signed up for a quilting class...YEAH! BTW I love the solids you chose and the heads up on the fabric. How do you keep up will all the latest ones? :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely lovely quilt! Get you turning out out all this lovliness. Better get my ass in gear!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fun quilt! I love what you've done with the Sherbet Pips! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely quilt, I can't seem to find sherbet pips anywhere, but they aren't meant to be released until april, but sometimes they get early release so who knows. You have a wonderful quilt all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  30. totally cute, per usual (i need to get my hands on some of those pips). I have to say, if i could only be half as productive as you, I would be a really happy girl. you really know how to crank things out, even when you aren't feeling well!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hurray! Your quilt is beautiful darling and I'm sure Lucy will love it for years to come. Can't wait to hear about your quilt along!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, it's perfect! How large did you make the snowballs? I am thinking 5 inch too...you will have to let us know! You made a great choice in your design as usual! Ugh, I have an 8 month old and a 3.5 year old and I can't seem to get any sewing done. I am also in awe of your energy!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I don't know how I missed this but it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete