Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Dream Quilt: Flea Market Fancy is done!

Here she is! And she's mine all mine! I can't even begin to tell you how much I am in love.


The quilt is a great throw sized, roughly 60x75. I used just about every Flea Market Fancy print made, only a few are missing (like yellow barbells!) The sashing and back are just good old Kona cotton white and I used the brown tulip tiles to bind by hand (I don't think I'll be attempting machine binding again very soon). I started the quilt back in August or September with the Old Red Barn Co quilt along, but only now just finished due to holiday madness. John aka Quiltdad did such a great job leading us all through the process of wonky log cabins. I learned so much.
One thing I must now sing the praises of is quilt basting spray. This stuff really works! For some reason I think I was against using it - I just really wanted to figure out how to baste properly the old fashioned way. But I was soooo desperate for this quilt to turn out perfectly, and after wrestling my last quilt (queen-sized) I was willing to try anything. I will now NEVER go back to just pins. I have also been a bit lazy about taping the entire back to the floor before laying the batting. I now know how important it is to go through every little step.
I also picked up Color Grabber at my local Hancock's Fabrics, which pulls any excess dye out of the water while washing. It worked like a charm and is only five bucks for about 30 washes.

Here is the back:


I had to add this little patchwork strip because my back was too short. I was really irritated I had to add it at first but now I love it.

At least we got a tiny ray of sun so I could take some okay shots, even if they are with the old camera (still missing the bloody charging cords to the new Canon!)

It is pretty hard to get a non-blurry shot of a very busy 8 month old!

I hope this can help inspire some of you fabric hoarders (you know who you are!) to get cutting on your beautiful Flea Market Fancy fabrics. They truly are better outside of the sewing room!

14 comments:

  1. You did an amazing job - I haven't ever used spray basting - does it get everywhere?
    Congrats on finishing it - it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so, so beautiful! Such fun wonky blocks, and I really love all the white! Oh, and I'm also quite partial to that strip on the bottom of the back - don't you love how sometimes what you think of as an error turns out to be one of the parts you love the best?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did a fantastic job! I love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan... this is fab and I'm dying of jealousy!!! You did a fab job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will do it to this year... promise.

    Lovely quilt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing, just amazing. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are a brave girl. it is beautiful and you are so right about cutting corners. i think we have all tried but it doesn't work. i cringe every time is see the quilt i decided to bind with the machine.
    you did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is totally beautiful. I love the wonky blocks and the little patchwork strip at the back. Great job - such a shame Fleamarket fancy is gone everywhere though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is lovely! I am going to get going on mine, you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is really beautiful! i'm not often a fan of the wonky quilts, so i really like the way that you added the sashing. it makes it a bit more crisp and less crazy. also the fabrics look great in those blocks as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Megan, I've been admiring your FMF quilt for some time now. It's truly fantastic!

    I wanted to ask you if you felt like there was a lot of waste or if you ended up with a lot of oddly shaped (hard to re-use) scraps from making the wonky blocks? I would love to use my FMF to make wonky blocks, but I'm afraid of the waste considering what I've got invested in FMF. Thanks so much, and again, bravo on a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your FMF quilt. I think I'll have to cut into mine!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous. I've never been a huge fan of the FMF but when I see it all together in a quilt like this I can see why it's such a versatile line that people love so much! And your quilt is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a lovely quilt! I want to do a wonky log cabin with a half yard bundle of Chicopee I bought in a moment when I had completely lost my marbles thanks to nine months of third baby sleep deprivation ($170 on fabric - what was I thinking!?!). Anyway, until I found your beautiful quilt I had no idea how to really make a wonky log cabin so I thank you for mentioning the quilt-along with tutorial. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete