Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Pickledish Quilt!



It is absolutely nothing short of a small miracle that this quilt is all stippled, bound and freshly washed before Christmas. It seems I got a little holiday stitching fire inside of me, despite my pregnancy-induced chronic fatigue and mental psychosis! Or maybe because of it.....either way, it's all done and waiting to be cozied up under with hot cocoa by the Christmas tree.


I had a blast piecing the pickledish blocks. I don't know if it was the excitement of getting to use all these cheery holiday fabrics or the satisfaction of successfully pulling off these moderately challenging blocks, but I really do think this was the most fun I've ever had piecing a quilt top.  Aneela put together a fabulous tutorial complete with templates and clear, concise directions for her Pickledish Quilt-along. If you feel comfortable with curves, or have been wanting to attempt them for your first time, I whole-heartedly recommend giving it a try. Even just one block would make a great pillow cover. This will certainly not be my last pickledish quilt.


The quilt I made measures roughly 55x55, using everything from Munki Munki flannels, some Shinzi Katoh Christmas prints I'd been hoarding, Sherri Berry, Minny Muu, Flea Market Fancy, Bliss, Amy Butler Lotus and more. I bound it with a green, yellow and red plaid from American Jane and the back is a super cozy flannel red and white polka dot from the Bliss line.  I did get a few mild puckers on the back due to some hasty basting and the lack of adhesive spray (I'm going to have to train someone else to do it for the remainder of my pregnancy), but another Christmas miracle washed them almost completely away! I truly LOVE LOVE LOVE the way this one turned out! It will be sad to put away each year after the holidays, but I hope it will be a happy tradition to bring it out again each year with all the other decorations.


Thanks for all your supportive comments regarding my last "first trimester monster" post. I don't think I'm totally out of the woods yet, but I'm getting there. I've got some serious baking to tackle tonight so I'm hoping to sneak in one more post before the big day to share some of my grandma's delicious cookie recipes with you. I hope all your holiday preparations are smooth and stress-free!

32 comments:

  1. Wow this quilt is amazing! So beautiful! Don't think i'd be able to put it away after christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it came out beautifully! So glad you could finish it before the "big" day! I must try this one. Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is amazing!! What a wonderful start to a what will become a long loved tradition of bringing your quilt out year after year for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness!! It's absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! I love it! You did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. REALLY well done! And CONGRATS on starting your 2nd Trimester! Did I know you were preggers? I can't remember! haha -- I know all about feeling paunchy and chubby and not looking pregnant quite yet. almost 9 months post-partum I'm almost back to my normal self. Next summer, we'll start all over again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Moly! BEAUTIFUL! What a wonderful keepsake. THanks for the comment BTW-just saw it - a little out of touch here in CO- have to figure out that No reply blogger thingy- THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mega! Megan! That is one mighty fine quilt - congratulations and enjoy the snuggling ... Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, megan! I LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Megan this is soooo wonderful! You have inspired me to get crackin' on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your beautiful finish! I know it will be hard to put it away but think how it will feel bringing it out year after year and how the kids will look forward to seeing it. It will be a special part of your family holiday traditions.

    Hmmmm....though you might need to make more than 1! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt is so beautiful and I know you are going to love bringing it out every year!! Great finish, and what a way to end up the year!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love and I want one but I don't think it is going to happen this year.

    happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - your pickle dish is gorgeous - especially good work when you have been feeling so tired growing a baby! Thanks for your comment on my blog - I think reading and knitting simultaneously sounds like a grand idea - books on tape is probably the best way until we invent something more fabulous:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is fantastic, Megan! Will have to add to my "to-do" list....#437???

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous and amazing Megan! It will certainly be a family heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE your christmas quilt, it's fantastic!
    Wish you a Happy Holiday season with your family...
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  18. The quilt is beautiful!!! Congratulations on a great finish, just in time for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful job Megan! It is absolutely gorgeous, and I'm sure it will be treasured for years. What a fun quilt it will be to get out every Christmas season!! I can't wait to tackle the one.

    Merry Christmas, friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. gorgeous! what fun it will be to pull out this fabulous quilt each holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is beautiful! Awesome job! You've inspired me to consider making a Christmas quilt next year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. looks gorgeous!

    you know... my aunt doesn't ever put away the christmas quilt i made for her a few years ago. it's always out! i think it's okay to leave it out for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gah, your pickle dish is gorgeous Megan! Just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You did a wonderful job on this quilt Megan and I was never in any doubts that you would get it finished before Christmas.
    Best Christmas quilt ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow. sooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow! It really looks great!! I am for sure adding it to my list! I like the fabrics you picked!! :) congrats on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This pickle dish makes me happy every time I look at it! Hope your Christmas was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Holy Crap... this is AWESOME!!! Seriously Megan this is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful quilt, and even better to hear that it was such fun to piece. I'm adding that tutorial to my list - maybe a trial-run pillow form is in order

    ReplyDelete
  30. this is a stunner! i love it and am so inspired!

    ReplyDelete