Monday, September 7, 2009

Socialite Dress

, originally uploaded by Lucy & Norman.

Wow! Can you believe I was brave enough to wear this to my friend's wedding? It is always scary to wear something out in public that you actually MADE. I really do like it though! I am still carrying around some extra baby weight so this was a great loose-without-looking-like-a-paper-bag dress. This was also the first time I have put on heels in about a year and I got my hair done! It is nice to feel a little girly again.

So anyways, the pattern is Anna Maria Horner's newish Socialite dress, and I used a print from one of my favorite designers Etsuko Furuya, or Echino. It is a double cotton guaze from the new Chelsea line. This is my first time actually sewing with this material (I won't show you my giant pile of Far Far Away I haven't yet cut into, not to mention my beloved Nani Iro fabrics!) and it was much easier than I imagined, really not that different from quilting weight - just softer. I definitely recommend this pattern, even for the beginner. The directions are very simple and clear and the finished product was true to size. Sewing the yoke on is really the only somewhat difficult part. I also love the fact that it has pockets! I will certainly be making another one of these, and I can't wait to use double cotton guaze again.

4 comments:

  1. Very cute - and brave of you!! I have this pattern too and need to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress looks great Megan! I've been eyeing this pattern up for a while now...perhaps it is time to give it a try. Great fabric choice too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your dress! It looks great and the fit looks fab too! I bought and just made the Tunic dress by Amy Butler - wanna do a pattern swap???

    btw - I'm also a new mommy, wife, and quilter!

    ReplyDelete