Monday, February 21, 2011

Single Girl Quilt-along: Part Deux




Congratulations! You made it through the most trying part of making the Single Girl Quilt! If you missed this part or you're just a bit behind, you can find Katy's clear and concise directions for templates and cutting your fabrics here.

I lucked out and got the fun and easy part of this quilt to lead you through - piecing your rings. For this stage you're going to need:
  • All of your cut pieces, arranged in order and separated by each quarter, as follows - Quarter #1 - pieces A through H, Quarter #2 - pieces I through O, Quarter #3 - pieces P through W and Quarter #4 - pieces X through EE
  • a quarter inch piecing foot
  • a seam ripper
  • your pattern for reference

I've laid all my pieces out alphabetically on top of some plastic lids I use to store my fabrics in. This way I can move them around without disturbing the order. I've found the best way to do this for me was to lay my plastic templates on top of each piece so I don't accidentally sew some wrong edges or pieces together.

To start the first ring, you will place piece A right sides together with piece B. All pieces allow for a quarter inch seam. Sew the pieces together on the right edge, matching NOT the top and bottom edges, but where the pieces intersect at the seam allowance. This is the most tricky part of the piecing and you may have to use your seam ripper to get the first few right, but once you get the hang of it, it's cake. The more extreme the angle on the pieces, the less the edges will match. 

Here's what I mean:


See how that seam intersects on both edges right where the fabrics meet? That's what you want. Flip the piece over and you can see it on the other side too.


Super easy once you get the hang of it, right? Diagram 4 in your pattern can explain this also.

Continue sewing each piece to the next, A through H for your first arc. I checked each piece for accuracy and finger pressed the seams toward the newest piece each time. Grab a cup of tea or coffee and continue all your arcs in Ring Quarter #1. It goes together quick once you're in the groove! Keep going in this way for Quarters 2, 3 and 4. When your'e all done, you can press all your seams.


Then admire your beautifully pieced Ring Quarters!


Make sure you keep all your rings pieces in stacks, all of Quarter 1 together, all of Quarter 2 together and so forth. And that's all there is too it!

It's really exciting to see all these Single Girl Quilts being made all at once! Make sure you visit the Single Girl Support Group regularly to see what everyone else is up to, and if you find yourself with any questions, there's tons of help there too. Please also feel free to email me directly at 
meggied23 at hotmail dot com
with questions or if you find any goofahs in my tute here. Make sure you don't forget to post your own progress pics in the group pool. And please, if you have any further tips on this portion please add them into the discussion in the group too!

Next week is the part everyone is dreading - sewing the background to the rings. But really, have no fear! Our in house curve-sewing genius Nova will be holding our hands all the way next Monday, February 28th, over on her blog.

Happy Sewing!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much!! This has really helped me. I have been having trouble with RQ 1-D. I used a slippery little piece of KJR and had to take it apart a couple of times! Thanks for your pics...I have had this pattern for years and would probably have never tried it without this support group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get to this part! Alllllmost done cutting, just a few more to go!

    Thanks for the simple instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely and clear directions Miss M!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some catching up to do - but I do have my pattern templates ready!! Thanks for the next step!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice quarter ring you've got there, but WOW I'm totally digging your ironing board cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you need concrete cheating proof?
    hackingssetting50@gmail.com gave me full access to my spouse phone with just his phone number and within few hours of contracting them. I recommend this team to anybody who is in need of any hacking assistance.

    ReplyDelete