Sunday, July 11, 2010

Fabric Therapy


Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I hadn't meant to be away for so long but I really don't have much to show you in the way of craftiness, so here are some pretty pictures of new fabric. These have been a definite day brightener in an otherwise downright awful last week and a half.

I haven't been feeling too inspired or motivated lately but today I am finally feeling much better and hope all these new little gems and our belated Seattle sunshine will help to drag me out of my funk. It all began a couple of weeks ago and then we learned that we wouldn't be adding to our little family as soon as we had hoped:( Under usual circumstances I wouldn't share such personal information but I feel that this is such a common occurrence which has affected many of you and your families too. It seems people really like to sweep this one under the rug but I think it always helps to know you aren't alone and that we all face difficulties in our daily lives.

The icing on the cake was due to my dental negligence and culminated in full on three hour root canal. I had seen those Ambesol commercials where the actress equates her tooth pain with labor pains, and believe me I wanted to throw my shoe through the television screen at her, but I am here to tell you I have now lived to be able to see the comparison! Or at least feel what it's like to have someone jab a hot poker into your gums. So I guess the Vicoden induced haze I had been walking around in the last week 
hasn't really helped my mood either.

Enough wound licking for today! I'm off the drugs and feeling great. And doesn't this new City Weekend from Moda just make you happy? I'm pretty sure this is going to be a big hit once it hits shops. I think a lot of quilters may be afraid it is too kid-oriented since it's designed by Liesl Gibson of Oliver & S, but I am in love with the vibrant colors and small scale designs I think will make lovely patchwork. They almost have a sort of Flea Market Fancy feel and I'm going to go ahead and predict these will someday create a big frenzy. I'll be saving these until inspiration for the right project strikes, and buying yardage when it's available in the fall.



And my other reason for happiness, Miss Lu. She is so on the run these days it's hard to catch a good shot of her, but I love this one of her at her Auntie's birthday party and that little silhouette shadow. And just like her mama, you can find her picking out her next beverage of choice at the ice bucket.



Happy Sunday everyone. And thanks for listening:)

21 comments:

  1. awe Megan :( I'm *so* sorry, I know that doesn't really help things, but I'm thinking of you!!! <3 <3 <3

    Also, I couldn't agree with you more about summer in the city, I have some & it's GORGEOUS!!! Some of the prints I can tell I'm going to be obsessed with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, I'm sorry to hear about your week and the bad news. :( You are right, I know quite a few people in that struggle right now and it's just draining and so hard. I hope things start looking up for you sooner rather than later.

    Very pretty fabrics - and even a prettier little girl you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope things would turn up soon :)

    and I also have a City Weekend layer cake. aren't they the yummiest? I can't wait to see some garments sewn out of them. and they've got interlock too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your loss. I can relate all too well, suffering a miscarriage last month too. Glad to hear you're feeling a little better. Fabric parcels alway give me a lift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear your news Megan. It's brave of you to share and I think on some level, it does help.

    I've only had one root canal, but it was wonderful! The root canal was the only thing that stopped the unbearable pain I was in. I'm glad you've recovered from yours.

    I haven't seen the City Weekend fabrics until you showed them above; very cute! Something else for my wish list! I love that aqua and red floral.

    Your daughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry Megan! Sending warm thoughts your way! =(

    Love that pic of your daughter's shadow, she's a beautiful little girl =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a miscarriage in May, and it was very disheartening - sending all good (and fertile!) thoughts your way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucy is gorgeous and dressed so cute. Concentrate on her and that great fabric you've got stacked up. All in due time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ug, miscarriages are hard. I had one a year ago in December, and then got pregnant again in March, and we have a lovely little girl now. Take care of yourself and give yourself the space to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Megan
    -I meant to check in after I commented. I am in the process of finishing my miscarriage. It was the most awful thing ever. I feel like we lost our third child. It's devestating and I've been pondering my blog post about it. Thank you for sharing. I agree it isn't discussed as much as is should be. But on a good note, I will be raffling off one of my Singer Featherweights to raise money for my local birth-center. I'm hoping my fellow quilters will help me out here.
    I think the word "miscarriage" does not come close to the emotions that are felt. It's so much worse. Thanks again for your post - I feel much better posting about mine, even if it is supposed to be a quilting blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Megan, I'm so very sorry to hear that :(. I can only imagine what you're going through. I pray you'll find some comfort and that you'll continue to be blessed with extra joy from those you love (like your hubby and beautiful daughter--and fabric of course!). xx-Hugs-xx!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. sorry to hear about your rough week! Fabric therapy always does the trick, as well as pretty little girls. She is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mum used to say that there's a reason for everything. Sometimes that's infathomable particularly when it comes to root canal! I've been down both these paths...more than once sadly....but it can help us to take a breath and count our blessings. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am very sorry to hear about your loss and I, too, can relate all too well. It is so very disheartening. Know that, even when it feels so hard to hope, others (me!) are hoping for your sake:)
    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I am sorry! You are right in saying that it is something many experience but sweep under the carpet. All I can say it that I hope you are ok and that the future looks a bit brighter soon. And yes, fabric therapy ALWAYS helps.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no hun I am so sorry. I have been there myself it is so hard but having girlfriends who can share the pain does help. I hope you are feeling better soon. Fabric is always my therapy of choice... that or camera lenses.. which can be reallly expensive hehe. Take care
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh dear, I'm so sorry! I'm glad things are looking up for you... sending hugs your way! ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  18. My little girl was a comfort to me also when I went through my second miscarriage. So many things I could say but I'll just send prayers for comfort and for more of life's blessings to come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. She is certainly growing up!!! That is a gorgeous little dress... Did you make it???

    ReplyDelete