Monday, January 24, 2011

The Single Girl Support Group!


Don't worry, I didn't up and leave my husband with a baby on the way......we're having a Quilt Along!! Since I'm in the last time zone to post, you've for sure gotten the news by now - the crazy-talented  Katy, ingenious Nova and myself are making Denyse Schmidt's Single Girl Quilt and want you to quilt along with us!

This pattern has been languishing in my stash untouched for over a year now, and it's finally time to brave it. If you've been dreaming of making your own Single Girl Quilt, we've set up the Single Girl Support Group on Flickr, so we can all share tips and share this ride together, as well as keep each other motivated to finish our quilts.

Sound like fun? We're requesting that only serious Single Girl quilters join the group so we all stay on track to get it done. If a whole quilt sounds like too much of a daunting task but you'd still love to join, don't worry, you can make a pillow or baby quilt too. Here is what you need to do:

Go here, and request an invitation to join the support group. (You can still join the quilt along without joining the group as Katy, Nova and I will be taking turn hosting the steps right here on our blogs, but the Flickr group where be the place we can all have discussions and share our progress.) 

Get your materials:

* the single girl quilt pattern (there's a list of stockists at the bottom of the post)
* lightweight card stock or template plastic to make the templates
* a pencil for marking your fabrics (if you use dark fabrics a silver pencil or silver gel pen is a great tool)
* fabric scissors (yes - you have to cut those fabrics the old fashioned way with scissors)
* paper scissors (for cutting the templates)
* fabric - the requirements for each size are listed below;

Baby size (4 blocks) :: 43 x 50" :: 1/8 yard each of 31 or 36 fabrics for rings :: 2 1/2 yards of background fabric
Twin (12 blocks) :: 64 x 88" :: 1/8 yard each of 31 or 36 fabrics for rings :: 5 1/2 yards of background fabric
Queen (16 blocks) :: 85 x 92" :: 1/4 yard of 31 or 36 fabrics for rings :: 7 yards of background fabric
King (20 blocks) 106 x 92" :: 1/4 yard of 31 or 36 fabrics for rings :: 8 1/2 yards of background fabric

Scrap lovers - you will need strips of scraps that are at least 3 1/2" wide


The fun all kicks off on Valentine's Day, so that gives you plenty of time to get everything together, including your courage! But have no fear - although this pattern isn't suited to the novice quilter, it's really quite simple once you've got all your templates and fabrics cut. Curves can be a little tricky at first, but after a few tries you'll have the hang of it and we'll all be here to help you through it. Even Denyse herself will be keeping an eye on us, and has generously offered to clarify any of the steps if we run across any issues.

Here is the schedule we have planned:

14th February - Katy's blog - marking and cutting
21st February - 
my blog - piecing rings
28th February - 
Nova's blog - sewing the curves
7th March - Katy's blog - assembly
14th March - 
Nova's blog - marking the quilting design and hand quilting
21st March - everyone's blog - wrap it up!

Here are a few online shops where the pattern is currently available:
Pink Chalk Fabrics
Wish Upon a Quilt (on sale there!)Blue is Bleu (free US shipping!)The Stock Room
Sew Mama Sew

Are you excited yet?? We are! So come on, join the fun - you'll never regret having your very own Single Girl Quilt! And don't forget to grab our button for your blog!



11 comments:

  1. How fun! I will have to look at the pattern and see if it is something that is do-able for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I read about this on facebook and then subscribed to another blog that was talking about it - and then I mosied over here and you're talking about it - I this is a sign. I really want this quilt - but it is scary to me a little. I sure would like one on my bed though...I'm thinking hard if I can do it...such great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, only a week for hand quilting?? You gals are really going for it! I look forward to seeing all of these amazing quilts pop up in blogland. Wish I could join, but my sewing tasks are in a huge pile for the next 2 months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to join in! Came home from work and started tracing templates. So glad you are doing a quilt along - just the push I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so definitely in. My SIL requested this quilt for her birthday last year... Still to start it! Terrible! I can't wait to begin!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am super excited for this quilt along! I can't wait to get my pattern in the mail and start pulling fabrics from my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This pattern is the reason I collected the entire Katie Jump Rope collection, but I've been too intimidated to start on it. I want to make a king sized, so I hope I can keep up with the schedule. Thanks for putting this together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you need concrete cheating proof?
    hackingssetting50@gmail.com gave me full access to my spouse phone with just his phone number and within few hours of contracting them. I recommend this team to anybody who is in need of any hacking assistance.

    ReplyDelete