Monday, May 24, 2010

Ugh. Basting Day.


Not my favorite part of the process. I actually sort of dread the quilt sandwich. The Bohemian Twins are my 8th and 9th quilts, and while I've been somewhat successful not completely bunching the back, it is still a struggle with lots of cursing and I think I did something to my back and shoulder by bending down doing all that bloody pining.

Does it ever get easier????

I was searching online for some pep-talks and tips that maybe I hadn't stumbled across before, and ran across this quote by the fabulous Rita (redpepperquilts) - "There is no joy in basting a quilt."

Thanks for making me feel a bit better with that gem, Rita! If an uber-talented professional like you still has troubles with this task, than I guess I don't feel like a total moron.



Now onto the quilting!




I took the evening off quilting last night to watch the series finale of Lost last night. I'm so sad it's over! Mark and I had some of his yet-to-be-released new Syrah, Lost Soul to mark the occasion. Maybe his best yet! No, the name of the wine has nothing to do with the show, it's just a play on words referring to Mark losing the bottom of his foot in a fork lift accident a few years ago. Eeek. 
And my short ribs turned out pretty darn well also. This recipe is extremely easy and tasty with leftovers for days.



Well, back to quilting. I am in a little bit over my head with some grand idea I had to quilt the circles with in my Drunken Bohemian. But practice makes perfect I suppose. Please wish me luck!

And thank you all so much for visiting my quilt festival quilt and all the lovely comments you left! I am seriously reconsidering tearing out all the quilting now. I think you're right - just a memento from my quilting beginning.

10 comments:

  1. Ugh there is still no joy in basting! From sore back, to holes in my jeans and fingers, it hasn't got any easier, although I must admit my technique has improved as has the quilt sandwich. So yeah, practice makes perfect.

    Look forward to seeing your quilting!

    Rita
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does your husband have any banquet/conference tables at work? My mom goes over to her very small rural church and puts as many 8ft banquet tables together as she has to and then doesn't have to bend down! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like basting, but I love your Bohemian fabrics and quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, I have found that spray basting is worth its weight in gold - I use June Tailor, Inc.'s Quilt Basting Spray, no pins, and have had excellent results. PLUS I hang the quilt front and back on my old-fashioned square clothesline outside and spray it - no bending over at all! Then I set the sprayed fabric pieces onto the quilt batt on my dining room table and fiddle with them until they're in the proper position. The basting spray is totally repositionable, and sticks like a charm! I started out with pins, but since I've discovered this stuff, I don't think I'll ever go back. Plus, if you machine quilt, the roll is smaller and much lighter under the quilt arm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use spray adhesive also, but in conjunction with pins, lol! I can't wait to see your finished quilts! The second bohemian looks amazing, I love that pattern! Great job on both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. girl.... i spray, spray, and then spray again!!! i HATE those damn pins and i just know i never got ( a l l ) the fabric in it's place! haha i think nettie has a tutorial on useing spray :)

    xo, Heather

    good luck mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, ha, ha! I feel the same way about basting. Love the quote. Can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely quilt- can't wait to see it completed! and your dinner look fabulous- yummmmmmmy!

    Basting sucks, period.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You want my best basting tip? I have my husband baste my big quilts! He doesn't seem to mind and he's so detail oriented that he does a great job...

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. the sore back, achey knees....it is definatly the worst part of quilting, but for some reason I am addicted to the process. I feel like I am getting faster and more efficient as I go, so hopefully one day it will be less of a hassle.....that and I am investing in some good knee pads!!

    ReplyDelete