Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Soon to be a quilt....(and the state of my crafty mess)

Before we get to the grim part of this post, how about a pretty picture?


Ever since I purchased all six colorways of the Kei Kerchief girls, I knew I wanted a quilt to showcase them with some of my other favorite prints. I love all these blocks so much, but I'm not totally sure how they will end up in the final product. Any suggestions are welcomed!

On to the next subject: my total lack of organization. I debated showing you these pictures, because as you know, all of us here in bloggy land love to paint a picture of sheer perfection in all aspects of our lives, right? Haha. Well one area of my life that has been in total disarray is my crafty space. My fabric, notions and all 437 WIPs I have going have started taking over every corner of our home. This has become a large bone of contention between my husband and I! This is a man who is completely tolerant of my fabric mania, but would prefer not to have to clear it out of the way in order to eat dinner at the kitchen table. Understandably so.

So this weekend I removed our unused guest bed (no one wants to stay over when you live in a tiny house with a toddler in the next room anyhow) and set out to convert the spare room into my sewing space. This, my friends, is only part of my stash. Horrifying or fabulous, depending on how you look at it, I guess. But definitely in need of some serious organizing!


One of the first things I did after starting the move was put up my Spiderweb WIP on the new "design wall" (aka) a large piece of batting). I'm ready to start working on that again as soon as I finish a few swaps and bee blocks. I've got some new bins and shelving, and cute oilcloth to cover this poor excuse for a table, and today I'm going to make a valance for the window. I'm hoping soon I'll be able to show you a much more tidy and workable space that I sew in!


Lucy and I are off now to her first day of school! Baby gym! It feels like fall is here today, and I'm more than ready for that.

24 comments:

  1. i love seeing your mess - mine has looked like that in our "playroom" for far too long this summer.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the machine cover!!!! If you think it is adding to the messiness of the room, you can send it to me? Or just tell me how you made it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blocks! Simple is almost always better, in my book - maybe just some white sashing and then a border to tie them all together.
    And I always find some fun piece of fabric hidden in the "mess"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find comfort in your mess! I have company coming this weekend, and I need to clear out my guest room/place where I stuff all of my fabric. NOT looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing your stash and your top is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My little craft space is a huge mess too. When I get on a roll to sew and only have limited time to do it, I just pull and throw fabric everywhere.

    That spiderweb quilt is going to be insane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your spider web quilt is looking so fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think it looks fabulous, personally. so nice that you have the spare room for yourself now. the spiderweb quilt looks so amazing up on the wall...i was also admiring all the other great things you have on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It always look like that when you start organizing - the chaos before the calm :-)
    And I have a suggestion for your adorable kerchief quilt - what if you floated the blocks on a solid background - so it's not too uniform? Just an idea....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous... creative geniuses always work in disarray. I know all to well! Love the spiderweb, and the new blocks are way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh - nice wall! And I noticed your sewing machine cover as well. I may have to plan another mini-quilt (to add to my WIPs). I let's not talk about xmas projects from last year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, i LOVE your blocks!!

    how fun to have a new sewing space!! i really need a design wall!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I just LOVE before and after pics. Make sure you post an after of your new sewing room. I'm so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel so much better when I see someone else's stash - like there might be a small chance that I'm normal! Ha! Love your new room. I need a design wall too. Glad you told us that it is batting. Been wondering how to do that. How did you hang it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE the spiderweb quilt! I adore the kerchief girls....I want me some! Fun to get sewing space, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't worry, my craft room is even messier. We kept the guest bed in there, but you would never be able to find it under my heaps of half finished quilts and such!

    I love that spiderweb quilt! I love the rainbow feel to it, and how you have the transition of the colors running diagonally.... Can't wait to see that one done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. these projects look great! And hooray for a sewing room! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My design wall is a flannel backed table cloth tacked to the wall, but it works :)

    I love that spider web quilt!!!

    And I guess we all have to stop sewing once in a while and organize/clean our creativity a bit!!

    Good for you :) I will cheer you on!

    SheilaC

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the fact that people are willing to show their creative spaces - which, when in use, are almost always overwhelmingly messy!! I know mine is - and anytime you see a picture of part of my space in a neat state, you can rest assured that the part behind the camera is a total mess!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Megan, I love the idea of covering that table with oilcloth! I have a similar plastic table that might have to get something like that... I'm guessing it would be pretty similar to making an ironing board cover, but with different dimensions?

    ReplyDelete
  21. No worries. All I could see was your spider web in progress, and I love it! A girl needs to focus, right?
    Is it all Denyse Schmidt fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your messy room! Mine is clean about once a quarter and the rest of the time looks like yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love before and afters too! I see some great fabric is that pile!

    ReplyDelete